Rosalía de Castro, daughter of the noblewoman María Teresa de Castro y Abadía from Arretén (Padrón), was born in Santiago de Compostela in 1837 and christened as the daughter of an unknown father. She grew up with her mother in Padrón; she later moved with her to Compostela, where she was educated; and then to Madrid, where her first book of poetry (La flor, 1857) was published and where she met and married Manuel Murguía.
The writer of prose and poetry, the book Cantares Gallegos (1863) placed her at the head of Galicia’s cultural Rexurdimento (Renaissance), while Follas Novas (1880) took Galician poetry to the highest peaks of its history. She also stood out in the Spanish language with the novel “El caballero de las botas azules” (1867) and her last book “En las orillas de Sar” (1884).
During her lifetime, she wandered around different towns and cities in Galicia and outside the region, spending her last years in Casa da Matanza (Padrón), where she died in 1885 at the age of forty-eight. She was buried in the cemetery of Adina (Santa María de Iria, Padrón) and in 1891 her remains were moved to the Pantheon of Illustrious Galicians in San Domingos de Bonaval (Santiago).
In the autumn of 1947, the Rosalía de Castro Trust was established to repair Casa da Matanza, which was restored in 1971 and turned into a House Museum in 1972. It is now owned by the Foundation, which continues with the Trust’s work.
The building features a tour of the events that marked Rosalía’s life and work. On the ground floor, called “O perfil dunha sombra,” visitors can appreciate the true dimension of this emblematic figure of Galician and universal culture: her life, the environment surrounding her and the Galician people’s relationship with the writer.
On the first floor, called “O seu”, there is a recreation of a rural house from that time, halfway between that of a peasant and a noble.
The outside features a recreation of a garden from that time, which forms a beautiful ensemble with the house. The garden is admission free.
Closed for building work starting from October 14, 2013.